It was the best of times...it was the worst of times...
The best of times was recognizing the personal attention God
pays to each of his children. The worst of times is the desperate awareness of how vulnerable our lives are here at any given moment.
I am sorry to be so slow in this update - but I must admit - it has been quite the week and a half! Taylor is finally doing so much better. In fact they removed his wound vac and IV PIC line today!! He is still vulnerable and tired, but the wound is really healing fast now.
Definitely another miracle!
Last week I took Taylor to the doctor and can you believe - I now have MRSA also! Luckily we caught it early and I am on super antibiotics now also. I have to tell you we have never felt the power of prayer and the love from our Heavenly Father like we have these past couple of weeks. Since the day I left South Africa, I have KNOWN everything will be ok. I haven't even cried one time since that day. I have learned so much about faith through all of this and we have witnessed not one but several miracles, and know that Heavenly Father is very much aware of us and what we are going through. Elder Renlund, our area President in Africa came to visit us and said a beautiful prayer on our behalf.
Thank you for all of your prayers, emails and love.
We feel so blessed and grateful and know that it has really made a
huge difference in Taylor's recovery.
The first Sunday we were home our ward had a fast for us. It was truly amazing, the palatable blessing of prayer and healing we felt. The next day our little 4 year old grand daughter, London told her mom she didn't want breakfast - she was fasting for "Bubba so he would feel better." About an hour later she asked me for ice cream. "I thought you were fasting," I said to her. She looked at me and said, "I am. I'm not eating breakfast or lunch."
Out of the mouth of babes - we can learn so much from them about faith.
Our plan right now is to return to Africa on July 17th.
On a lighter note - Summer and Travis were so afraid of their kids getting sick that we went to our cabin in Sundance for the weekend so we wouldn't be around them until we are less contagious. We packed up and drove 1 hour to the cabin. No sooner had we walked in when I realized we had left Taylor's most important antibiotic in our fridge at home. It is very timed and so I had to get back in the car and drive all the way back home - and then back again barely making the 9:30 pm time to hook him up again. Exhausted, we went to bed. In the middle of the got night I got up to use the bathroom. We had a large log pole bed on the floor that Terra had left when she moved to Hawaii which no one had gotten around to putting together. Wouldn't you know - I walked right into that log pole bed and fell flat - knocking the wind right out of me! I thought I was really going to die - I could not get one breath of air. Taylor woke up - drugged - thinking a bear or something was mauling me! He couldn't get out of bed very fast hooked up to everything. He finally managed to turn on the light just as I finally got a breath of air - we looked at each other and just burst out laughing!
We laughed so long - we just kept thinking how pathetic we both are!!!
The next day I had a black eye and 2 bruised shins!
Summer has been a saint through all of this. We could not have made it without her and all she has done for us. We do believe, however, she is secretly trying to find an assisted living home for us when we return from Africa! We really can't blame her!
We both know that Satan knows this is the only way he can get us down and make it difficult to return to our mission full time. The blessings we have received during this time are huge and as long as we can laugh and make the plane on the 17th I think we will be just fine.
Ultimately, we are grateful to be alive, and anxious to get back to Africa.
Again, we are so grateful to each of you - your prayers, food, messages, love and faith - all have truly been felt. We will forever be grateful.
So glad to hear about Elder Hartman's recovery! My son was very concerned when he found out! He really loves your husband and has so much respect for him! Also, thanks for sending that video of my son while you were in Kenya! That was so fun!!! Best of luck and our prayers are with you too!
ReplyDeleteJill Hyde
MM to Elder Maurice Maxwell
SO HAPPY you are laughing. Let us know what we can do for you as neighbors--if you're missing Africa, come visit us!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'll stop trying to talk you into staying home (to quote Flip Wilson, "the devil made me do it"). I'm so happy Taylor is getting better and now you need to get better too. I can imagine the laugh-fest you had, but I'll bet you were in some pretty good pain after crashing into the log bed.
ReplyDeleteIf Summer does put you in an assisted living home, I'll come visit you there. Hey, I may even be the crazy lady in the next room!
Love you both!!!
So glad Dad is doing better. That was a scary week!
ReplyDeleteSummer gets called a "saint" and I get blamed for leaving a pole in the middle of the floor? Good to know somethings never change...
Hello Jean, Ryan Wells' mom here. I was strictly instructed to keep him posted about you two. I was so sad I missed the last missionary moms' lunch to hear your amazing stories. I am sincerely happy that you both have a date to return to your beloved mission and so glad Taylor is recovering. You both made a HUGE difference in Ryan's life. Thank you so much and God Bless you both!!!
ReplyDelete