Monday, August 1, 2011

LIFE'S LITTLE PLEASURES...


Many of you asked about our living conditions so I 
decided to take A few pictures to show you.  
We do not have indoor plumbing - 
we do however get a hot shower everyday.  
It is just a little more work than going in the 
bathroom and turning on the shower.  
First we fill a bucket with cold water 
from the water tank.


Next we pour it into a "donkey" where a fire has been 
heating the water.  
This is Taylor's bath ritual every morning - 
he fills two buckets - one for me and one for him.


It heats the water instantly!


The cold water goes in and forces out the hot water 
into a bucket.  We fill it half full of hot water 
and then pour half a bucket of cold water in so 
it will not be too hot.  
There is some scientific name for this but
I can't remember it - maybe some of you 
Eagle Scouts out there have made similar showers??



We then take the bucket of warm water into the 
bathroom and pour it into the bucket that we lower 
from a rope on the wall.


We raise the bucket back up to whatever 
height we want - and then turn the nozzle...


And voila!  We take a very nice shower!  
It even lasts long enough to wash your hair!  
It is amazing how long 5 gallons of water will last.


It really is a great way to start the day!
Next week I will show you our kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. That was a fun post, however, I never thought I'd ever see Taylor in the shower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like an ingenious way to camp every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, love the shower pic! :) That is crazy. So fascinating to see how others around the world do it. Boy are we spoiled or what?!

    ReplyDelete