While at the office last week I got a phone call from the receptionist saying there was a man at the front of the building selling pen and ink drawings of the Johannesburg temple. Artists quite often come to the area office so I went downstairs to see his art.
As I looked at the drawings I quickly noticed they were each a poor quality xerox copy with different colors added to trees etc. I did not like them at all. Earlier this week I had just said that I was going to be more careful of what I bought - I was going to buy more "quality" pieces. Aa I looked through the copies I had a very strong feeling that I should buy one. I fought with myself for several minutes until I heard myself say "I'll take this one.". I couldn't believe I was buying a poor quality copy of the temple - I rationalized that I would send it to the grandkids and let them color it.
I showed my new purchase to Taylor and got exactly the response I thought I would. "Why in the world did you spend money on that!". I explained I just really felt I should buy it and it was only 50 Rand - about 7 USD.
Later that night we had a wonderful chance to visit a newly baptized family with the Elders. They asked us to go because the couple were having some marital problems - and he had just lost his job as a diamond cutter where he made about $20.00 per day. The Elders wanted us to speak from experience about marriage rather than hear it from two very young and single Elders.
We drove several miles out of town and parked in front of a dark little house. We went in and met
the family - 2 children and the parents. Their home was so cold the children covered themselves in blankets and people they rented out rooms to(in order to pay the rent) kept walking through the front door. As we sat down I suddenly recognized the father as the man I had bought the drawing from! I then said "Hey, you are the one I bought ink and pen drawing from today!" I thought in my mind I was so glad I had listened to that little voice telling me to buy the picture - I would have really regretted my decision then!
As the evening went on one of the missionaries asked the question, "What brings you the most joy in your life?". As we went around the circle everyone gave their answer. When we came to the father he said very humbly, "When I can make enough money to buy food for my family."
I am so grateful for "tender mercies."
Another "tender mercy" this week was being able to skype our grand daughter's baptism. She is so tender and was devastated when we were not going to be able attend because of our mission. We were so excited when Summer held her phone so we could see and actually hear the water splash when Thailee was baptized by her father, Travis. Imagine, 9,000 miles away on an island in the Indian Ocean - and we were able to share this magnificent event.
Another "tender mercy" this week was being able to skype our grand daughter's baptism. She is so tender and was devastated when we were not going to be able attend because of our mission. We were so excited when Summer held her phone so we could see and actually hear the water splash when Thailee was baptized by her father, Travis. Imagine, 9,000 miles away on an island in the Indian Ocean - and we were able to share this magnificent event.
Taylor & Jean,
ReplyDeleteI love reading of your experiences. You two are amazing, and I look up to the both of you. We miss you here in Utah. SLY!
Anna