Saturday, June 18, 2011

INTO AFRICA


Okay, here goes our new adventure.  We arrived last night and have spent the entire day like newly weds running around buying groceries and bedding for our new "flat"--yes FLAT.  We are learning to speak afrikansk--not really but we like pretending.  This place is so beautiful.  The people are engaging and kind. There is 50% unemployment in South Africa but millions of refugees come here (especially from Zimbabwe and Congo because their unemployment is 85% and it puts a serious drain on this country.

We met a refugee from Zimbabwe and she was a member of our church and was so excited when she saw our badges and ran up to us and asked where she could go to church tomorrow.  We both looked at each other like deer in headlights because we have NO CLUE so I think she must have wondered where we got our badges.  We are going to a branch tomorrow at Etwatwa which in the townships and we'll show pictures when we take them.

We went to dinner tonight at Sophia's (after Sophia Loren, who happens to be my favorite actress ever--GREAT SIGN!!) and had delicious fish (king's cut) which is a south african fish.  Wonderful welcoming from the couples who also have flats in Dukes Court where we live.  There are about 15 ex-pats living here.  Just as we were getting ready to go out I was ironing my white shirt (do I really have another color?) and I plugged in too many things and blew the whole circuit so we were totally in the dark.  It was hysterical.  We just sat there and laughed.  Luckily we found a lantern we lit because we are told there rolling "brown outs" monday, wednesday, friday from 6-10 a.m. so we'll see how that works out.  I called security and they said they were "just coming" which I found out means nothing.  You have to say "now now" and it may happen in the next hour.  If you are serious, you have to say URGENTLY!!! So when our friend arrived to take us to dinner (I have yet to drive on the wrong side of the road which you have to do here) they rescued us and found the circuit box and told us how to request timely help in the future.  

Seriously, this is an amazing adventure and we love sharing it with you.

1 comment:

  1. i LOVED this update! really, it made me laugh out loud at the sight of you two in the dark laughing hysterically :) you two are such wonderful examples of love and light and especially laughter! love you both! thanks for sharing your experiences! what wonderful experiences you are sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete