Well this has been quite a week. We moved into our flat - moved into our new office - got our car. As we were pulling out of the driveway of the area office we forgot we were supposed to look right instead of left and we nearly had our first accident! We did make it the rest of the way home safely. I am going to learn to navigate a couple of weeks before I start driving.
This is an African Therapist bed...my favorite find on our shopping trip. Perfect for Taylor's office.
The church is growing here at an unbelievable pace. This weekend President Kollicker (the area president} is going to the DRCongo to form a stake. He is taking 2 flights (about 10 hours) and then drives about 80 miles on a bumpy, dirt road, with speeds of not over 10 miles per hour! It will take approx. 6 hours to drive the 80 miles - that is if the weather cooperates. He will be gone 9 days. There is no water, food or toilets. They have toilets but have to "bucket flush" them. There are 5 toilets for 2000 people! - they have to take their own food and water - and they get a generator turned on for 1 hour each day to heat water or whatever. The area they are going to is extremely remote and has never had missionaries there - but has 2,200 members that have all taught each other - they have sent out 70 young missionaries!! And they have a retention rate of 85%!
Another interesting thing here is what is called "Lbolo" or "bride price". The groom has to pay between $10,000 - $20,000 in cash, cows, land or whatever. Needless to say many don't marry but live together.(This is even in the church) The church is trying to talk to parents and convince them to forgo the lbolo - that we are a family church and their children will take care of them - but it is very difficult to convince them since the money goes to them and their relatives for their retirement. Most people only live until about 40.
The most exciting thing we did this week was go shopping - but this is not just any ordinary shopping - this was in a warehouse where the man goes all over the continent and buys of antiques and crafts and sells them for about 3 months of the year. It as indeed a treasure find. I am enclosing pictures of some of the rooms and some of the items we bought.
As you can see the church is very modern and beautiful - however the places surrounding the where they come leaves a lot to be desired. You would never want to be their after dark!
Our congregation has many young mothers. Notice how they all carry their children on their backs - usually wrapped with a towel or blanket.
We had another incredible week here. We have been able to keep in close contact with all the kids and grand kids which helps with the "homesickness." We are so blessed to be here serving amongst such great people. As soon as Taylor can figure out how to stop hanging up on the missionaries that call him, and learn how to get his computer up and running we will be all set. In the mean time I am loving all my new treasures and decorating our flat.
So glad you guys are having so much fun! I miss you, but I love hearing the stories! Keep it up! (...And Taylor, make sure you stay on the right side of the road!!! HAHA!) I love you guys!
ReplyDeleteJean,
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can ask one of your kids to explain to their Dad how to set up his computer and how the phone works, caus if you are waiting on Taylor to figure that out on his own...jk, love you guys
I'm not sure if you are "having fun yet" but I know the work you will do is going to be well received. You are in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how different the culture is there. I love all the details about your experience. You seem to be learning quickly and so positive about everything. What an amazing adventure!!
ReplyDelete~Jodi Nelson
I love it! It is so fun to hear you Jean! Your adventures bring a smile to my face! All I know is that if Taylor brings that wooden bed home, his client sessions won't run a minute overtime! Seems a bit uncomfortable! Love to see you! Keep updating us! I want to come shop! xox Kim Osborne
ReplyDelete