Sunday, July 3, 2011

WE ARE SO BLESSED...

I am speechless.  I can't even describe this morning.  So I will just include a few pictures of the orphanage where we visited.  They loved having their pictures taken and then seeing it on the camera.  This was one of those experiences that will be etched forever on hearts.  I took over 200 pictures there - it is difficult to choose which ones to post.  Here are just a few.....

These tin shacks are home to 150 thousand black South Africans and refugees from all over Africa.  It is very hard to believe that these living conditions could possibly be better than where they came from.





 Every child comes to the orphanage with a story.  Meet little, adorable, heartbreaking Hope.  Her mother brought her to a community center with her umbilical cord still attached in a purse.  All this adorable child has of her history and identity is the purse.  I can never again use the word "Hope" without seeing this precious child in my heart and mind.



Look at the smiles....the sparkle in their eyes...the safety they feel behind a jagged gate...the hope that they can get through one more day (with food in their tummies) of this experience we call life.


Meet "Zuma" who was abandoned in a large dumpster at 2 months old.  They all find a way to make sense of the life they have been given, but it still leaves us haunted and asking
"Why have we been so blessed?"
And how are we blessing the lives of others...

3 comments:

  1. Having an experience to visit an orphanage is a life changing event. We adopted our 2 youngest children from 3rd world countries and the children in the orphanages still haunt me to this day. Vietnam was our first visit and then Western Samoa. The Vietnam orphanage was an experience that even 12 years later still visits me in my dreams.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog will be wonderful to follow as my son serves his mission in Mozambique. I love hearing the heart warming stories of these sweet children. Thank you for your service!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those babies are so adorable! I wish I could take them all home with me.

    ReplyDelete