Wednesday, September 19, 2012

TOKOLSH

In Africa there is a little is a strange little phenomena - unique to South Africa (I believe) - it is a little man named Tokolosh.  He is a little ugly, hairy guy - like an elf that eats children, and can enter people's bodies and do terrible things.  People are scared to death of him - some even put their bed up high on bricks so that he cannot reach them in their sleep.  Anything bad that happens is often blamed on Tokolosh.  He is blamed for everything from a missing sock to getting a woman pregnant while her husband is away.  Unfortunately I don't think we can blame all of this country's violence on Tokolosh.



You have probably read in the paper or seen in the news all the violence that is happening in Africa currently.  It is so sad.  A muslim cleric was murdered in Kenya and even though they don't yet know who did it - the muslims are retaliating on the Christians.  The missionaries in the area have had to stay inside.  It seems to be happening all over Africa.  Recently in Malawi, 8 men brought a truck and jumped over the fence into a rented church yard of ours where the missionaries had a flat also.  They tied up the 2 guards and then kicked in the missionaries door.  They woke up but were told to stay in bed and they would not be harmed.  While a couple of them stood over the missionaries with clubs the others stole absolutely everything in their flat - shoes, socks, shirts, suits, etc.  Thank goodness they were not harmed - but they were left with just their underwear!

Unfortunately THAT is a negative about serving a mission here.  On the positive, which always compensates for the negative - I really want to write this week about the testimonies and kind hearts of so many of the people who live here.  There is something in Africa that touches your heart - so deeply - words cannot explain what it feels like to be able to serve Heavenly Father on a full time basis in this wonderful country where the church is growing by leaps and bounds.

There was a young missionary coming to the MTC here in Johannesburg from Figi.  He had been traveling for days - going from Figi to Australia to Hong Kong to Johannesburg.  Because of a mix up in times he arrived with no one there to pick him up. He was scared, alone and had no idea who to call.  After waiting a while he took his bags and went over into a corner.  There he knelt down and said a prayer - asking Heavenly Father to please help him.  when he stood up he looked around - it was very early in the morning and the airport was fairly empty.  He noticed a man in a suit and approached him, asking who he was there to pick up.

Unfortunately, he told the young boy that he was there to pick up his son in law.  Now even more nervous he started to walk away when the man in the suit said to him, "Are you a missionary?" (Although he was in a white shirt and tie he did not yet have his badge) 

"Yes," he answered.  

"Well I am a member of your church - can I drop you off somewhere?"

You can imagine his gratitude and relief - and the knowledge that Heavenly Father - knew where he was and had answered his simple prayer.

Everyday I hear story after story from these amazing young men and women.  What a privilege it has been to serve here in Africa.

On Monday I was getting my hair cut and colored - I found a young single adult girl that comes to your flat.  All was going well - when it was time to wash off the color - we went into the kitchen - then the bathroom - and can you believe - NO WATER!!  The faucet dripped....dripped..........    dripped.  You can imagine my panic!!  Luckily we had a couple of bottles of water in the fridge - not enough - then I discovered why we have food storage.....our water storage saved the day!  Good thing I am learning to tie a "dukie" on my head - great for a bad hair day!  



Just as was feeling sorry for myself for being out of water for a day and a half - I remembered how most of the native people here get their water from 3-5 in the morning.  The women must get up and go outside and fill jugs of water - carrying it back on their heads to be used for washing clothes, cooking and bathing for that day.  I had to repent for being ungrateful that we didn't have water for a day and a half. 



I hope you all have a wonderful day - remember to be grateful when ever you turn on your faucet and get water.



1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I will be so glad when you are home again.
    We were up in your neck of the canyon last night. We visited our old cabin for a family dinner. I thought of you and Taylor as we drove home, thinking the next time I'm up that way will most likely be to hear your homecoming talks.
    Now I think I'll go take a nice long bath, with lots of water. Yes, I am blessed.

    ReplyDelete