Sunday, March 25, 2012

Last Friday in Johannesburg we were at  zone meeting.  We had arranged for a couple of missionaries to show us around Soweto (the place the apartheid war begun.)  Soweto is called the “Graveyard” by the white people here - because if you go in at night - you don’t come out!  The elders serving there knew the area and we decided it would be fun to see some of the highlights here.  We finished zone meeting and then Taylor had to talk to a missionary that was having some serious issues.  It went a little longer than we had planned - you need to know that a fixed appointment in Africa is actually a vague suggestion to try to meet within two or three hours of the stated time.  People here expect to wait for hours where ever they are.  It was still light so finally we ventured off - only to find everything closed.  We decided to take the missionaries to dinner as promised even if everything else was closed.  We headed to a little restaurant that a wonderful woman that works with us had recommended.  We called ahead to get directions and we were sad to hear the restaurant was full - a famous soccer player had died and they were having a dinner there to celebrate his life.  We told the woman on the phone that  our friend Thoba had recommended it and to our surprise she said, “Thoba is here - would you like to speak  with her?”  Long story short - she invited us to be her guests - along with the Minister of Sports and several other players and dignitaries!

Thoba is a member of the church, and beautiful inside and out.  She grew up in Soweto and still lives there - raising her 9 year old grand daughter. We listened attentively to story after story.  She told us about the days of apartheid  - how horrible it was - she even told us that had she had access to a gun she would have shot her new baby, her 2 year old son and then herself.  Needless to say the time flew by quickly and she offered to escort us out of the “graveyard.”  

Just as we waved good-bye to her - we swerved to miss a man in the road that had been shot or stabbed - we couldn’t tell which.  He was surrounded by police and lots of blood.


The next morning while on our morning walk we came upon a man in the middle of the road bleeding profusely from his head.  No one was helping him - so my “good Samaritan” husband called out to a nearby guard and asked him to help carry him out of the street.  He was not dead quite yet.   Finally a few people stopped to help - one woman brought gloves for Taylor to use and a few others called 911.  The next day following our same route - Taylor asked one of the guards what had happened.  He didn’t really know the outcome - but said that it had taken 4 hours for the ambulance to come!!  That is why I listed speedy police and ambulances on my gratitude list!

This building has an interesting story.  It is located right next to our church in Hillbrow (said to be one of the most dangerous cities in the world).  They spent 18 million dollars building this huge office building.  When they were almost finished they ran out of money - they went to the bank to borrow more money - while they were doing this squatters moved into every square inch of the building!  (notice the sheets, etc. hanging out the windows)  It is said 3,000 people moved in in less than a week.  The bank in the meantime approved the additional loan - however when they went back to resume construction - they found it completely inhabited!  After a law suit the squatters won (go figure??) and so now it is an “apartment building” of sorts - all living there free!  This is Africa!
Later in the week week we were invited to dinner by some friends here.  We were excited and hungry - they had BBQ’d some nice meat for us.  We ate about a third of it when they told us it was “turtle livers wrapped in turtle stomach!”  Needless to say it did not taste like chicken!!  All I could think of was we were eating Olex’s little friends!


This next picture is actually from the Congo - I forgot to add last week - “Rats on a Stick” - needless to say we did not even sample this!
While we are on the subject of food...There was a family here in South Africa who were struggling with fasting.  They expressed real difficulties in trying to fast once a month.  When their bishop told them they only had to fast 2 meals per month - they said humbly, “I know, but for us that is two days.” 

We enjoyed a whole week in Johannesburg and now we are off to Madagascar and Reunion Island.  Reunion Island is about a one and one half hour planed ride east of Madagascar.  Directly below Mumbai, India.  It is a beautiful Island - settled in colonial times by France.



Although Reunion is very hot and humid at this time of year - it is a beautiful island with wonderful food and the ocean is just across the street from our hotel.  Everything is French here - even my computer has decided to be French here as well.  Those of you that know me - know that I am not good at languages - well since we have been here where so many countries speak French I have tried to pick up a few French phrases and words to get by.  Yesterday we went to get ice cream - it was dreadfully hot outside.  We went to little ice cream store and I tried to order - I wanted 1/2 scoop chocolate and 1/2 scoop coconut .  The girl at the counter was very sweet and tried to accommodate me.  As she handed me my ice cream - I looked at her sweetly and said - “Ferme la bushe” - ( a phase Taylor had taught me)  I meant to say “Merci bea coup” (thank you very much) but instead had said, “Shut your mouth!”  I was so embarrassed and tried to explain (how do you explain that!).  It was one of the horrible moments when you wish you could take back your words.  



But the story does have a good ending.
The next day - being extremely hot again - we went to the same ice cream store. (I know,I know--just sign us up for Weight Watcher 2013!) The same girl was there although she was not waiting on us.  Taylor asked for the manager and tried to explain the horrible mistake I had made.  He smiled, and called the girl over - President Donnelly and Taylor gave her a big tip and apologized for me - then she looked at our badges - asked about the church - and gave us her phone number and asked for the missionaries to visit her!  All is well that ends well - and me - I think I will stick to English! And don't even wonder why Taylor was trying to teach me "Shut your mouth" in french :)!!!
We have had another wonderful visit here in Madagascar (where we saw Elder Peyton Hansen - one of TJ”s friends)  and Reunion Island with President and Sister Donnelly.  I am so thankful for friends!  We miss all of you!!
Today I am also grateful for faucets that bring me clean drinkable water, hot or cold, at a touch.  For flush toilets.  For ambulances that arrive within minutes of a 911 call.  For a variety of food (many Africans eat the exact same food day after day and they are grateful for it!) and air-conditioning!
Despite the lack of water, health care, and educational opportunities, these people are grateful for every little  blessing they have - and they find joy in their faith, families and friends.
I have learned much from the people here in Africa, and they will forever have my heartfelt thanks for teaching me life’s most valuable lessons.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my dear friends- I think I need to increase my prayers on your behalf...finding mostly dead people on the road is not on my list of things I would like you to be doing on your mission.
    I loved your story about the ice cream and sorry, but I AM wondering why Taylor taught you that phrase!
    Be safe, and hurry home (December will be here before we know it, right?)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering why Taylor would teach that kind of French phrase to you too?? I bet he was laughing when that came out instead of Thank you!!?? I pray for you both night and day and know that you are touching so many lives while you are away...Your adventures and stories remind me of how blessed and full our lives our, and that we have SO much to be grateful for!! Sly, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are amazing. Can you only imagine Lynda in the heat? She would never shut up! Glad to hear all is going well, in particular so many amazing experiences.

    You thrilled Lynda when you called her on her birthday!

    Steve "it's 75 degrees outside" Sherman

    ReplyDelete