Sunday, February 5, 2012

EXHAUSTED BUT HAPPY!

Spending time in the Cape Town mission was a "tender mercy" after being in Mozambique.  I almost feel guilty it was so wonderful.  We traveled by car and by air through incredible beauty from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, Queenstown and East London - then we even flew to Namibia for a day.  This mission, like many others in Africa is huge - if you were to put this mission in the US it would extend from San Bernardino, Calif. to the state of Nebraska!  The missionaries in this mission come from 23 different countries!  It is like a small United Nations!  These two clever missionaries had their pants altered and requested permission to use them as daily attire in the hot weather.  President Wood, having a good sense of humor said 3 words about their request - "Not a Chance!"  Have to give them points for creativity!


We took a cable car to the top of "Table Mountain" one of the New 7 Wonders of the World - great views.  The one with the clouds running over it looks more like Victoria Falls than the real one we saw!



We had fun driving down the beach - visiting penguins and taking in the sights.



This big guy almost ran right into our car!


This sign is for real - even dung beetles can get you in trouble if you hit one!  That's Africa!


We really did work but we had a wonderful time too.  I then had to fly home a day early because I needed more pages in my passport so I could travel to Namibia and the Congo.  I never thought I would run out of pages in my passport! So after an afternoon at the American Consulate I am now ready to continue our travels - on to Namibia for a couple days. 

These are meteorites that have hit Namibia - now on display in the city center.


These women are from a tribe in Namibia that worship cows.  They put layers of clothing on to appear larger like the cows.  They have cow horns on their head also. I can't believe someone would like to look like a cow! 
This is a strange one - even for Africa!




We arrived home on Thursday, Feb. 2 - unpacked and packed again because we leave for the DRC and Congo bright and early Monday morning! 
 Exhausted but happy.

1 comment:

  1. Love the multi-color houses on the beach! So happy! And the elephant in the wild!?! Amazing. I think Cruz would join that tribe of women. He loves cows! Have fun in the DR Congo!

    ReplyDelete